The Mocha Square is a tapestry crochet square pattern designed for a Charity Cozy Fall Makealong (MAL). One of my favorite things about fall is a cozy mug of coffee, tea, or another hot beverage.
Use the square to show off your favorite fall colors for the mugs and think about your favorite hot beverages too! This quick tapestry crochet pattern is also a fun way to use up your leftover yarn.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy details.
About the Inspiration for the Mocha Square
One of things fall makes me think of is snuggling on the couch with a nice warm mug of coffee, tea, or hot cocoa. I also wanted something that would allow you to pick and use colors to complement the other colors in the Charity Cozy Fall MAL blanket.
The mugs are perfect for this because you can make them any color you want. You could also switch up the background color for the square.
The Mocha Square is a free crochet pattern for a 8″ x 8″ crochet square in U.S. crochet terminology. It is included for free on the blog below.
PDF Pattern Downloads: You can also purchase a printable PDF of this pattern in my Ravelry Shop. This printable PDF also comes with a color chart of the design.
Click the Photo Below to Pin this Pattern for Later
I just love the tester photos for this square. They had so much fun playing with color. I hope it inspires you to think outside the box for the colors for your square.
Charity Cozy Fall MAL
The Mocha Square was part of the Charity Cozy Fall MAL hosted by Noor’s Knits and Knitting with Chopsticks. This event has ended. You can still find details about the event as well as all the square that were included here:
Note: The printable PDF version of this pattern also includes a color chart in addition to the written instructions included below.
Crochet Fall Mug Square Pattern
What You’ll Need
Yarn: Worsted weight yarn (#4 Medium) in colors of choice. Approximately 30 yards of each of three colors: Off-White (Color A), Dark Brown (Color B), Light Brown (Color C).
Hook: Size G/6 (4.0mm) or size needed to obtain gauge.
Notions: Tapestry needle, optional stitch markers, tape measure.
Sizing and Gauge
Size: Approximately 8” x 8”.
Gauge: 16 sts x 18 rows in sc = 4” x 4” (10cm x 10cm).
- All stitches are done in sc
- Tapestry crochet method recommended for carrying the non-working yarn under the stitches – tutorial at https://eclairemakery.com/beginners-guide-to-tapestry-crochet-step-by-step-photo-video-tutorial/
- Check the tutorial noted above for how to change colors in sc as well. To change colors in sc, start the sc before the color change as normal by inserting the hook into the st and pulling up a loop with the first color, then drop the first color and complete the sc by pulling the new color through both loops on the hook
- The written pattern is in abbreviations as follows. “A5, B9, A2,” would mean “single crochet 5 sts in off-white, single crochet 9 sts in dark brown, single crochet 2 sts in off-white”
- Every row begins with a ch 1 that does not count as a st
- Every row ends with a turn except for the last row
- Crochet base chain loosely so that the edge does not curl
- Pattern is written using U.S. crochet terminology
- When following the chart, remember to work back and forth. For example, Row 1 is read from right to left, row 2 from left to right, and so on.
Standard Stitch Abbreviations (U.S. Crochet Terminology):
A: color A
B: color B
C: color C
sl st: slip stitch
sc: single crochet
Fall Mug Square Pattern
Base Chain: With A, ch 33.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc across, turn. (32 sts)
Row 2: A32.
Row 3: A5, B9, A7, B9, A2.
Row 4: A2, B11, A5, B11, A3.
Row 5: A2, B12, A4, B12, A2.
Row 6: A2, B9, A2, B1, A4, B9, A2, B1, A2.
Row 7: A2, B1, A2, B9, A4, B1, A2, B9, A2.
Row 8: A2, B9, A2, B1, A4, B9, A2, B1, A2.
Row 9: A2, B1, A2, B9, A4, B1, A2, B9, A2.
Row 10: A2, B12, A4, B12, A2.
Row 11: A3, B11, A5, B11, A2.
Row 12: A2, B9, A7, B9, A5.
Row 13: A6, C1, A2, C1, A2, C1, A9, C1, A2, C1, A2, C1, A3.
Row 14: A3, C1, A2, C1, A2, C1, A9, C1, A2, C1, A2, C1, A6.
Row 15: A5, C1, A2, C1, A2, C1, A9, C1, A2, C1, A2, C1, A4.
Row 16: A5, C1, A1, C2, A2, C2, A8, C1, A1, C2, A2, C2, A3.
Rows 17 and 18: A32.
Rows 19 – 34: Rep rows 3 – 18. Fasten off at end of row 34.
Finishing: Weave in ends. Block if desired.