Making baskets is a fabulous way to use up leftover yarn and create something useful too! These free crochet basket patterns will help you make projects for a variety of uses.
For everything from planter to treat to storage baskets, you’re sure to find a pattern here that will serve your needs.
Crochet baskets use yarns weights from worsted to jumbo. Read on to find a crochet basket pattern perfect for your needs.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Types of Crochet Basket Patterns
You’ll find patterns below for a variety of crochet basket patterns, including:
- Storage Baskets
- Small and Mini Baskets
- Kitchen and Bath Baskets
- Kids Baskets
- Hanging Baskets
- Planter Baskets
- Baskets with Fun Shapes and Designs
What kind of yarn should I use for my crochet basket?
You can make baskets with a variety of weights and kinds of yarn. T-shirt yarn and heavier weight yarns are especially popular.
Cotton yarns can be a great choice for bathroom and kitchen baskets that may get wet. You can even try more unique fibers like raffia, cotton rope, and clothesline.
Holding two strands of yarn together will also help make a sturdy basket.
You’ll find patterns below that use worsted weight yarn, bulky yarn, super bulky yarn, and even jumbo yarn.
How do I make my crochet basket stand up?
Crochet baskets can be floppy. It can be part of the charm of a hand-crocheted basket.
Still, you may want your basket to be sturdier and to stand on it’s own. So how do you make your basket stand up?
Many of these patterns will already do the trick by using thicker yarns including t-shirt yarn. Here are some tips to get your basket to stand up.
- Use a thicker and sturdier yarn. Some options include t-shirt yarn, holding two strands of yarn together, bulky and super bulky yarns, and even unusual fibers like clothesline and raffia.
- Crochet tightly. Work your stitches tightly together.
- Use a smaller hook size. Try using a hook size that is one or two sizes smaller than called for. This is another way to get your stitches to be tight.
- Stuff your basket to get it to stand up. Filling your basket will help it to stand up.
- Stiffen your basket. You can try different solutions for stiffening your basket including a glue and water combination. You may want to test this out on a test swatch first to see if you like the results.
- Crochet around a beading or soft wire. For baskets that are worked in a spiral, you can try crocheting over beading or another soft wire to stiffen the basket.
The first patterns in this list are great for storage in all sizes. Made from a variety of yarns, you'll be sure to find a pattern perfect for your storage needs. There are baskets that you can use around the house.
Small and Mini Baskets
These super cute mini baskets are great for holding smaller items like office supplies, nail polish, or even your crochet hooks! Because they are little, they work up super fast too!
Kitchen and Bath Baskets
These baskets are made for your kitchen and bath! Use them to store items like bread or fruit in the kitchen or small items for your bath vanity.
These super cute baskets offer a variety of storage options for nursery and kids rooms. Have fun making something for that special child in your life.
Try a hanging basket pattern to add storage to your walls or to hang from the ceiling. These fun baskets are great for everything from holding herbs and fruit to office supplies.
Dress up your home decor with planter baskets. These designs are perfect for holding planter pots in a variety of sizes.
Baskets with Fun Shapes and Designs
Add a special touch to your home with one of these baskets. From flowers to hearts to holiday designs, these baskets will liven up your home decor.